Thursday, February 6, 2014

blog 14

  • LITERAL
    (a) Statement saying: “I, student name, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.”
    (b) Cite your source regarding who or what article or book helped you complete the independent component
    (c) Provide a digital spreadsheet (aka log of the 30 hours).   Post it next to your mentorship log.
  • (d) Explanation of what you completed.    
  • INTERPRETIVE 
    Defend your work and explain how the significant parts of your component and how it demonstrates 30 hours of work.   Provide evidence (photos, transcript, art work, videos, etc) of the 30 hours of work.  
  • APPLIED
    How did the component help you understand the foundation of your topic better?  Please include specific examples to illustrate how it helped. 




LITERAL

a)I, Bradley Yamashita, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.

b) my mentor, Octavia Sisley

c)

d) Extra mentorship hours

INTERPRETIVE

I worked extra hours at mentorship, which I believed was the best idea for my independent component. I spent time in the office, the kitchens, or in the family center. When in the office, I created logistics, spreadsheets, and prepared envelopes to be mailed out to volunteers. In the kitchen, I helped prepare meals and organize volunteer groups (telling them what to bring, how many, proper attire, etc.). In the family center, I was essentially a housekeeper, cleaning the facility and taking care of chores.

APPLIED
I think it helped me understand because of how much work is put into the organization. It's not just giving out meals to homeless, it's really devoting yourself to different events, logistics and several other things that go into the organization running smoothly. For example, our annual event, Dinner in the Park i a huge event. We have around 600-700 volunteers, and we serve around 4,000 people. Planning it with my mentor was tough work, what with all the volunteer names we had to keep track of, boxes of supplies we had to prepare, and letters to volunteers that needed mailing.


This is one of the many things i do in the office. This is a wish list for the Station that we send out to all our volunteers. 

This piece of art was created after our Thanksgiving Dinner in the Park. It's called the "Thankful Tree", where volunteers wrote down why they are thankful and we put this together.

Final draft of the wish list we sent out to volunteers. Looks a lot prettier right?

I also have to file a lot of papers. A LOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment